The Simon Carrington Chamber Singers is pleased to announce the third annual competition for new choral works. The Simon Carrington Chamber Singers—a world-class choral music ensemble led by renowned artistic director Simon Carrington—engages and enriches audiences through concerts, recordings, and educational programs.
1. Composers of any age, of any nationality, are invited to submit up to two works for mixed chamber singers.
2. Duration should not exceed 8 minutes.
3. Works should be unaccompanied but pieces requiring an obbligato monophonic instrument may also be considered.
4. Works for mixed voices and electronics will be considered. Technology capabilities include: diffusion over 1-8 channels, with available subwoofer channel (8.1 maximum); Mac Intel 8-core with Pro Tools HD3|Accel & 192I/O, Logic Studio, Max 5 and Max/MSP 4.6.3 + Jitter 1.5; Mac laptops; Playback via CD, DVD, DVD-A, DAT, sound file; Yamaha DM1000v2 mixer, microphones, outboard equipment, etc. This list is not exhaustive; feel free to contact the organizers with any other technology questions. The inclusion of electronics in this year’s call is made possible through collaboration with Kansas City Electronic Music & Arts Alliance (KcEMA).
5. Works may have been performed previously. If so, please include a performance history.
6. Works submitted should have been composed within the last five years.
7. Works may be in any language. If in a language other than English, Latin, French, German, Italian, or Spanish, please include an IPA transcription.
8. Texts should be public domain or a letter of permission from the rights holder granting permission must accompany the submission.
9. Non-traditional notation is acceptable as long as there is a clearly notated key provided.
10. Previous winners and finalists of the SCCSCCC are eligible to submit again but must submit a different work.
Your submission package should include (1) score/octavo with duration clearly indicated (2) cover letter with composer contact information including email, title of works submitted, date composed, and duration (3) IPA transcription, if applicable (4) text permission letter, if applicable (5) performance history, if applicable (6) technology specifications and realization, if applicable. A recording is optional.
Entry fee is $25 for the first piece and $10 for the second. All composers should remit payment thorough our PayPal account, accessible from the SCCS website.
The composer of the winning piece will receive a prize of $1,000.00 (one thousand USD), two concert performances in June 2012, and a performance and/or recording session recording. The Simon Carrington Chamber Singers will have non-exclusive, world-wide perpetual license to perform the winning piece and shall have the right to record the performance for archival and other purposes, including distribution and sale of such recording. Other submitted works may also be selected for performance but will not receive prize money.
Submissions must be received by January 15, 2012. Please e-mail submissions and any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Upon receipt of materials, a confirmation email will be sent within 48 hours. The winner will be announced late January/early February.