Tenure – Track Faculty, Audio for Visual Media
Department of Audio Arts & Acoustics
School of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Columbia College Chicago
Columbia College Chicago is an urban institution of over 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students emphasizing arts, media, and communications in a liberal arts setting.
The Department of Audio Arts & Acoustics is seeking applications for a Tenured or Tenure-Track Faculty position, beginning Fall 2012. The Department offers a comprehensive undergraduate education in acoustics, audio design and production, audio for visual media, and live and installed sound systems, supplemented by a strong Liberal Arts component. Our current department curriculum may be reviewed at the following link:
Duties & Responsibilities
Principal duties include:
- Teach and mentor undergraduates, and develop new curriculum.
- Work closely with the Film & Video, Theater, Interactive Arts & Media and Broadcast Departments to maintain and develop the Audio for Visual Media program.
- Serve on college and departmental committees.
- Advise students within the major.
- Engage, with distinction, in creative and/or scholarly activities in the field, as appropriate for a tenure or tenure-track faculty appointment.
Minimum Education & Experience:
- Extensive experience in one or more of the following fields: Audio/Sound Design for Visual and Dramatic Media, including production and/or post-production engineering for film, broadcast, theater, or multi-media, including games, and other interactive digital media.
- Advanced (required) or terminal (preferred) degree in a field relevant to the position. (Recent graduates must demonstrate exceptional promise, as assessed by the search committee, in lieu of extensive professional and teaching experience).
- Substantial breadth and depth of knowledge and professional experience, which can be documented by a record of significant portfolio, publication or other professional experience.
- Fluency in general audio theory and practice.
- Demonstrated record of teaching.
All applicants must apply online at https://employment.colum.edu/ (Job ID 100246).
IMPORTANT: At the start of the online application please upload ONE document that COMBINES your COVER LETTER, CV, and BRIEF STATEMENT ABOUT TEACHING INTERESTS AND PHILOSOPHY; do not upload each document separately. The title of your document should be less than 60 characters and saved as a word.doc, word.docx, or PDF ONLY.
Complete the online application including adding the names and contact information for three professional references. You will receive an email confirmation once you have successfully submitted your application. In addition, please submit 3 blind letters of reference via US mail to:
Audio Arts & Acoustics Faculty Search
c/o Elliott Scott
Columbia College Chicago
600 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60605-1996
Review of submissions begins December 1, 2011.
If you experience technical difficulties please email email@example.com. Do not contact the hiring department or search committee for assistance. No phone calls or hard copy materials please.
Columbia College Chicago encourages qualified female, LGBTQ, disabled, and minority individuals to apply for all positions.
For more information, please visit us at: www.COLUM.edu